Diwali festival of light is coming a grand celebration among Indians, the entire custom of home cleaning to decorations, cooking sweets, lightening diyas and firing crackers which brings immense pleasure and happiness but also brings lot of air pollution and respiratory issues especially in metropolitan cities.
This diwali let’s take an initiative to celebrate festival green and clean plus including few ayurveda tips to reduce pollution effects on our body as no matter how much we stay away from pollution it is simply everywhere.
There are certain simple health objectives or steps to fight environmental pollution. And it should start from oneself, to improving the air quality at home, and last but not the least, improving the Immunity.
To purify the air.
Try growing house plants which take in toxins from the air and purify the air.A few examples are Bamboo, Erica palm, peace lily and money plants. One can even use Charcoal bags which can be prepared very easily and hang them inside the rooms. Charcoal is an excellent absorbant and helps in reduction of particulate matters and other pollutants as well.
Neem- excellent herb to detoxify pollutants from body.
Taking shower from water boiled with neem leaves helps to detoxify skin and hair. Eating 2-3 leaves twice a week can help purify blood and lymphatic tissue.
Tulsi- it can be planted in the house and can help absorb pollution. 10-15 ml of tulsi juice can remove pollutants from respiratory tract.
HEALTHY FOOD LEADS TO STRONG IMMUNITY
A diet rich with antioxidants and proper Vitamins would do the trick.A proper and balanced diet for improving immunity must include these essentials as follows:-
- Vitamin C: amla, guava, lemon, berries, tomato, carrots, kiwi and apples
- Vitamin E: It is found in almonds, basil or cloves
- Beta Carotine: Sources of beta carotene are coriander, fenugreek, lettuce and spinach
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids: It can be found in walnuts, chia seeds, flax seeds and clarified butter or ghee
Home remedies to Follow/DIY
- Boil one glass of water and add 5-6 Tulsi leaves, grated ginger (one inch) and a small piece of crushed Gur (jaggery) to it.Let the mixture boil for 5 minutes and consume it warm. This concoction will help boost your immunity.
- A glass of water boiled with Tulsi leaves, salt, lemon and honey in it, can help clear your congestion and thus allow you to breathe better.
- Haldi milk is beneficial for kids and adults alike.-To prepare haldi milk, take a glass of milk and add few drops of ghee, a small piece of ginger, black cardamom, Tulsi leaves, 1 clove and a pinch of haldi to it.Let it boil for 4-5 minutes and then add honey after turning off the flame.Consume it warm.
Triphala-combination of 3 ayurvedic herbs totally rejuvenates human body and negates effects of pollution. Increases body immunity excellent in clearing respiratory tract and sinus. take 1 tsp at night with honey daily
Lastly prefer home cooked food as it is cleaner, healthier and tastier too. Your diet plays a very important role in your well being.
Eating right will keep our lungs healthy, our heart healthy and keep us from falling sick due to constant abuse of Mother Nature in the hands of us humans.